Sunday, October 25, 2009

Family, Friends and Fun

I really should make this more than one post...maybe I'll do a continued one later. The fact is, I've been having so much of these three things, I haven't had time to get on here and write about them! But I do think they're important to living a good and healthy lifestyle.

Frankly, I think all of these three things are under-rated. Oh I know psychologists talk about having a good support system and everyone says that laughter is the best medicine, but how many people really believe that? Do you believe it?

I certainly believe it's true. And what's more important, I think you can create your family. Yeah, that sounds a little weird, but while you can't choose the family you were born into, you can choose to separate yourself from members who are abusive and/or harm you through their relationship with you. At the same time, you can choose to include people in your family (by involving them in activities, treating them like family, etc.) who add good things to your life and whom you enjoy having around. We had an experience similar to the latter just this past week.

In short, I think one of the most important things to do is create connections that are beneficial to both parties (not in a parasitical way, but in a genuinely loving, caring way). Sadly, there are times when it is also important to cut connections -- while it's never good to burn bridges, sometimes it is necessary to diminish or even cease contact. And since most of us don't have the perfect family, I sincerely hope you have the opportunity to "recreate your family" today!

No comments:

Post a Comment