Sunday, September 20, 2009

On Sleep


I'm beginning to think all health topics are under-rated. Take sleep, for yet another example. When was the last time you really stopped and thought about how much sleep you're getting...or what quality...or more importantly, how it measures up to what you should be getting?


I'm sure you've heard various opinions on how much sleep one should get each night...but are you aware that it matters when you get that sleep? It's been proven (by studies and personal experience) that the best sleep is before midnight. (Has something to do with the chemicals your body produces to help you sleep better and when they're at their peak, if I remember correctly.)


What about sleep schedules? Did you know your body does better when you get up and go to bed at regular times? I mean, it's common sense, but too often we don't manage it and then wonder why we're tired. (Believe me, I'm preaching to the choir here! I got eight hours of sleep last night, but it was between 11:30pm and 7:30am, roughly. Not good on the biological clock!)


Anyway, I hope that this is at least thought-provoking and that we all will take another look at our nightly schedules. Sometimes things can't be changed and late nights can't be helped, but all too often we continue in bad habits that can be changed. Sweet dreams!

No comments:

Post a Comment